E-Page/MultiTrace User Guidance for Members

Welcome to the e-page MultiTrace User Guidance - for Members.

On this e-page you will find guidance on how to use MultiTrace, the new traceability system of the Rainforest Alliance (UTZ Certified), including: quick start guides, instruction videos, training webinars, checklists and templates.

Currently, MultiTrace is only being used in the Coffee and Hazelnut program by both members and certification bodies. 

Licenses for the Coffee and Hazelnut program are requested through MultiTrace. 

Prior to getting a license, an audit needs to be scheduled in MultiTrace. Please get in touch with your Certification Body to schedule the audit in the system. 

If you are audit exemptedplease contact our Member Support team at membersupport@utz.org.

Instructions using the functionalities in MultiTrace are shown in guidance recordings. 

Please use the table of contents on the right side to navigate through the manual. 

1. Introduction - Quick Start

1.3. Do I need to get certified?

All producers and producer groups need to comply with the Core Code of Conduct (Code) and a commodity specific module. These are a set of requirements that cover better farming methods and working conditions as well as better care for nature and next generations.

A certification against the Chain of Custody Standard is required for all supply chain actors who comply with the criteria mentioned in the section below. 

Producers / producer groups 

All producers / producer groups who sell their own product as RA/UTZ certified need to be certified against the Code of Conduct. 

Producers / producer groups need to be (also) certified against the Chain of Custody if they: 

  • Perform physical handling activities not included in the Code* , and/or 
  • Purchase RA/UTZ certified product from one or more other RA/UTZ certified members and fulfill all of the three criteria for ChoC certification explained below.

Supply Chain Actors

SCAs need to be certified against the ChoC if they fulfill all of the following three criteria:

  1. Take legal ownership of RA/UTZ certified product
  2. Physically handle RA/UTZ certified product: all activities carried out (by the SCA itself or a subcontractor) on un-bagged, un-packaged, or un-sealed products are considered physical handling activities. The product annex of the ChoC provides a list of the activities considered as physical handling for the specific product.
  3. Make product claims about RA/UTZ: A product claim is any on-pack or off-pack communication, with or without the use of the RA/UTZ logo, that makes a direct or indirect reference to RA/UTZ, and that is in relation to the offering or selling of a product. This includes any general reference to the sustainable or responsible sourcing of a product based on RA/UTZ origin. RA/UTZ reserves the right to take the final decision on whether or not something is considered a product claim.

Please see chapter 3.5 Product Claim for more information. 

Even if all three points apply, there are still a few scenarios where you can be exempted from a certification audit. Besides traders of finished products, also audit exempted members need to receive a license.

Please consult the Join UTZ Page to see if you need to get certified and need an audit or have a look at the Certification Protocol (Chapter 2. Certification Process) on the website.

In case you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at membersupport@utz.org.

* Included in the Code are all physical handling activities up to and including:

Coffee: production of green coffee

Hazelnut: production of hazelnut kernel

Certification in MultiTrace

For certified members, the CB requests a license through MultiTrace, as part of the certification process (described in the Certification Protocol). See chapter 5. Audit Preparation to see how to start the licensing procedure. 

For members who are not certified (e.g. Small Volume SCAs and SCAs who do not claim or physically handle RA/UTZ product), the license is issued by MultiTrace based on the entered information such as traded volume. Contact the Member Support Team after completion of the required Chain of Custody Audit Exemption E-course to get your license activated.

Chain of Custody Audit Exemption E-course - Coffee

Chain of Custody Audit Exemption E-course - Hazelnut